The Babylonian Legends of the Creation
Page: 1711. "Get thee gone, Gaga, take up thy stand before them.
12. "All that I am now going to tell thee do thou repeat to them [saying],
13. "'[O ye gods], Anshar your son hath charged me,
14. "'The intention of his heart he hath made me to know in this wise:--
15. "'Mother Tiâmat who gave us birth hath sown these things,
16. "'She hath set in order her assembly, she rageth furiously,
17. "'All the gods have joined themselves to her.
18. "'They march by her side together with those whom ye have created.
19. "'They formed a band and went forth to battle to help Tiâmat.
20. "'They were exceedingly wroth, they made plots by day and by night without ceasing.
21. "'They offered battle, foaming and raging.
22. "'They set the battle in array, they uttered cries of defiance.
23. "'Ummu-Khubur, who formed all things,
24. "'Set up the unrivalled weapon, she spawned huge serpents,
25. "'Sharp of tooth, pitiless in attack (?)
26. "'She filled their bodies with venom instead of blood.
27. "'Grim, monstrous serpents arrayed in terror.
28. "'She decked them with brightness, she fashioned them in exalted forms,
29. "'So that fright and horror might overcome him that looked upon them,
30. "'So that their bodies might rear up, and no man resist their attack.
31. "'She set up the Viper, and the Snake, and the god Lakhamu,
32. "'The Whirlwind, the Ravening Dog, the Scorpion-man,
33. "'The Storm-wind, the Fish-man, the Horned Beast.
34. "'They carried the Weapon which spared not, nor flinched from the battle,
35. "'Most mighty were Tiâmat's allies, they could not be resisted.
36. "'Thus she caused Eleven monsters of this kind to come into being.
37. "'Among the gods, her first-born son who had collected her company,
38. "'That is to say, Kingu, she set on high, she made him the great one among them,
39. "'Leader of the hosts in the battle, disposer of the troops,
40. "'Bearer of the firmly-grasped weapon, attacker in the fight.
41. "'He who in the battle is the master of the weapon,
42. "'She appointed, she made him to sit down in [goodly apparel]
43. "'[Saying]: I have recited the incantation for thee, I have magnified thee in the assembly of the gods.
44. "''I have filled his (i.e., thy) hand with the sovereignty of the whole company of the gods.
45. "''Mayest thou be magnified, thou who art my only spouse,
46. "''May the Anunnaki make great thy renown over all of them."'
47. "She gave him the TABLET OF DESTINIES, she fastened it on his head [saying]:
48. "'As for thee, thy command shall not fall empty, what goeth forth from thy mouth shall be established.'
49. "When Kingu was raised on high and had taken the heavens (literally, the god Anutum),
50. "He fixed the destinies for the gods, his sons, [saying]:
51. "'Open your mouths, let the Fire-god be quenched.
52. "'He who is glorious in battle and is most mighty shall do great deeds.'
53. "'I sent the god Anu, but he could not prevail against her.
54. "'Nudimmud (i.e., Ea) was afraid and turned back,
55. "'Marduk, your son, the envoy of the gods, hath set out.
56. "'His heart is stirred up to oppose Tiâmat.