The Babylonian Legends of the Creation
Page: 1688. All the Anunnaki assembled at their posts.
89. They shut their mouths, they sat in lamentation.
90. [They said], "Nowhere is there a god who can attack Tiâmat.
91. "He would not escape from Tiâmat's presence with his life."
92. The Lord Anshar, the Father of the gods, [spake] majestically,
93. He lifted up his heart, he addressed the Anunnaki, [saying]
94. "He whose [strength] is mighty [shall be] an avenger for [us]
95. "The ... in the strife, Marduk the Hero."
96. Ea called Marduk to the place where he gave oracles,
97. Marduk came and according to his heart he addressed him,
98. [Saying], "O Marduk, hear the counsel and advice of thy father,
99. "Thou art the son who refresheth his heart,
100. "Draw nigh and enter the presence of An-shar,
101. "Stand there [with joy], when he looketh upon thee he will be at rest."30
113. The Lord [Marduk] rejoiced at the word of his father,
114. He approached and took up his place before Anshar.
115. Anshar looked upon him and his heart was filled with gladness.
116. He (i.e., Anshar) kissed his (Marduk's) lips, and his (Anshar's) fear was removed. [Then Marduk said]
117. "My father, let not the opening of thy mouth be closed,31
118. "I will go, I will make to take place all that is in thy heart.
119. "Anshar, let not the opening of thy mouth be closed,
120. "I will go, I will make to take place all that is in thy heart." [Anshar says to Marduk]
121. "What man is the cause of the battle which made thee go forth
122. "... Tiâmat, who is a woman, pursueth thee with weapons.
123. "Rejoice our [hearts] and make us glad.
124. "Thou thyself shalt soon trample upon the neck of Tiâmat,
125. "Rejoice our [hearts] and make us glad.
126. "Thou thyself shalt soon trample upon the neck of Tiâmat.
127. "My son, who dost comprehend everything,
128. "Cast deep sleep upon Tiâmat with thy holy spell.
129. "Betake thyself to thy march with all speed.
131. The Lord [Marduk] rejoiced at the word of his father,
132. His heart leaped with joy, to his father he spake, [saying],
133. "O Lord of the gods, Overlord of the Great Gods,
134. "Should I as your avenger
135. "Slay Tiâmat and bestow life upon you,
136. "Summon a meeting, proclaim and magnify my position,
137. "Sit ye down together in friendly fashion in Upshukkinaku.
138. "Let me issue decrees by the opening of my mouth even as ye do.
139. "Whatsoever I bring to pass let it remain unaltered,
140. "That which my mouth uttereth shall never fail or be brought to nought."
1. Anshar opened his mouth, and
2. Unto the god Gaga (), his envoy, spake a word [saying],
3. "O Gaga, my envoy, who makest glad my liver.
4. "I will despatch thee unto the gods Lakhmu and Lakhamu.
Portion of a tablet inscribed in Assyrian with a text of the Third Tablet of the Creation Series. [No. 93,017.]
5. "Thou must know and understand the [intention of my heart]
6. "... are brought before thee
7. "... all the gods.
8. "Let them make a council, let them sit down to a feast
9. "Let them eat bread, let them heat sesame wine.
10. "Let them issue decrees to Marduk as their avenger.